Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 1 Israel - The first impression




So I'm pretty sure everyone knows about Israel, good or bad, news or friends, for years it has been an intimidating place to go to. I was reluctant and spoke with MANY people including my deans and advisers to see there thoughts. Although there wasn't a strong excitement or smile, they had much respect for the program and told me regardless of school policies, if they did not feel comfortable themselves to send someone they wouldn't, but they said this would be a great slice of cake to experience.



Now I cannot tell you from this first day the full experience and my thoughts on Israel or Jerusalem but I can tell you the first impression when I stepped foot on the holy lands was nothing of terror or nervousness but rather in awe and surprised that it didn't even physically look like I thought it would. It was BEAUTIFUL, the land scape, the buildings with Jerusalem stone, the clear skies, refreshing evening, the sounds of life and people not of cars and downtown American city living.



WORD OF ADVICE!!!!! WARNING WARNING! please don't forget your sweater!!!! hahahah I lugged and carried a sweater all through Russia and experienced such extreme heat even in the wee hours of the morning, thinking to myself "well hell, if I'm this far north in st. Pete and its this hot, how can it possibly be any cooler going south to Israel and closer to desserts?"



So what did I do? I threw out my sweater so I didn't have to keep dragging and carrying around anymore. Boy was I wrong!!!! The scorching days do not prepare or warn of the chill of the night (I may be from Miami and over exaggerating but damn its cold at night). Later I was explained by our professor that the uniqueness of the landscape and topography help to cool down the city. in between the coast and the desert winds, at the high point in between two valleys, the breezes are amazing and refreshing, however for me too long at night i get the chills.





Dinner at the PBI (Pontifical Biblical Institute) was pretty cool. We sat around tables outside!! under palm trees and cool breezes. we mixed around met some staff members, priests, and even others from around the world who use the PBI as their base camp. But Ill talk more about the PBI later.



Even though I expected their to be tension amongst the natives, and even some tourists. The day was awesome and the night even better. A couple of us went out at night to a very VERY American looking street filled with bars and cafes. we had drinks while we people watched. we hung out with catholics, and non catholics alike. we made instant friends with some Jewish kids at the bar, and we had some "pepsi" with two super friendly young arabic kids who were in school for both architecture and engineering, which was a great way to see how there schooling system was different. we did see one kid with a machine gun in his hand but he was smiling and laughing and said hi as he passed by and continued down the street. not something Id see back home but interesting nonetheless to get that experience.


Overall more so then Russia, My jaw still drops at how completely different Jerusalem is compared to what we usually hear back home. So they might have some rough times here and there maybe again (most likely again) but its definitely know reason to not experience this jewel of a city. It is a city that is ancient as it is new keep that in mind for my next writing.

Never under any circumstances ever let your guard down in any city domestic or foreign, but do not let anyone or thing stop you from experiencing life in your own way and through your eyes, not the eyes of others or through a video camera.



O and FYI those loud bangs at night there fireworks hahaha






No comments:

Post a Comment