Monday, July 26, 2010

The Archeological Dig!!


Today was awesome. All my life since I was a child, yes I know it wasn't that long ago haha, I have wanted to go and do an archaeological dig. whether it was bones, houses, pots, dead people, anything i wanted to get my hands dirty and pull something up from the ground.
Today we did a site in Maresha. It is dated back about 2200 years old due to some coins that were found in jugs dating back to a king that ruled the area at the time. It was pretty neat and intense. we had to crawl down these little hole caves through tiny holes into caverns. Normally I thought you would be digging above the ground in the hot scorching sun but we actually got to dig in a cool dark cave.

I started digging, and as everyone kept finding things and I didn't I was getting more anxious. I dug deeper and wider, I found a few pieces of pots but not anything big like the others. what I did come across was a huge pile of bones hahaha no not people but small animal bones and charcoal. from the pots charcoal and bones we dug up we realized we were digging in someones kitchen from way back when it was really exciting to find that out.

After an hour of digging we were taken through another cave it had yet to be touched but the tiny holes we had to crawl through to tour around made it seems a little too intimidating for us amateurs. After all that we were explained what happens with all the stuff they find, they look for intact pots and jars and artifacts, but any piece of stone or pottery or papyrus found with with writing on it is immediately reported to the state. that is what they are looking for. the rest of the discarded pieces we can have depending on the quality so of course the souvenir pieces aren't as nice as what we dug up. but i did sneak a couple in my pocket hahahah shhhhhh






No comments:

Post a Comment